Lemon. The Under-estimated Oil
This was an experiment we just had to try when we heard about it!
So what you just watched was how fast the Lemon essential oil literally digests the petrochemical content in latex, causing the balloon to burst in seconds. A similar experiment you can do is place a drop of lemon essential oil on a Styrofoam product. Watch how the oil eats its way through!
Now try putting a drop of Lemon Essential Oil on a blemish on your face, or apply it on the heart. We promise you you’ll be safe (if you use the Young Living Oils that is)! The Lemon oil will work to clear out that blemish (in a few days) and the aroma of the Lemon oil on your chest will uplift you! That is exactly why we have found therapeutic grade oils so fascinating. A purely-distilled oil is the essence and life force of a plant. Essential oil in its purest state has amazing similarities to our blood; and it carries out functions of healing, defending from bacteria and viruses and the transportation of oxygen and nutrients necessary for growth and well-being. Because essential oils’ natural chemistry construct is so compatible to the human being, our body has the wisdom to harness all the benefits delivered by the oils; and releasing whatever is not needed with adequate intake of water.
Petrochemicals are evident everywhere in our modern life from food, packaging of food, beauty products to household products. Exercise your power of choice; as you make purchases of the above items. Choose organic, buy from credible and understood sources. And start helping our bodies by just taking 2-3 drops of Lemon Oil in a large glass of water first thing in the morning. Lemon oil -infused water can be drunk throughout the day too! This helps to alkalize our system.
1) Lemon Essential Oil has one of the highest content of di-limone – which has been studied to have effects of eradicating cancer. A combination of Frankincense Essential Oil and Lemon Essential Oil can be highly useful for supportive anti-cancer therapies.
2) Research by Jean Valnet, MD showed that vaporised Lemon Essential Oil can kill Meningococcus bacteria ( best known as a cause of meningitis) in15 min, Typhoid bacili (a form of salmonella that causes typhoid fever) in 1hour, Staphylococcus aureus (this can cause minor skin infection like pimples and abscesses; to life threatening diseases such as pneumonia and meningitis. MRSA is a strain of S. aureus that has become resistant to anti-biotics) in 2 hours, and Pneumococcus bacteria ( this causes common bacterial complication of influenza and measles; as well as more serious issues of pneumonia and meningitis) within 3 hours.(extracted from Essential Oil Desk Reference, 5th Ed)
3) A Japanese study found that when they diffused lemon it reduced errors by 54%. Lemon Essential Oil is known to increase mental clarity and concentration
4) Lemon has been shown to have antidepressant effects in research done by Komori, et al.,1995. Diffuse or inhale Lemon oil to receive the benefits of aromatherapy.
5) Heartburn is a burning pain felt behind the breastbone. It is most often the result of acid reflux, that is, when stomach acid rises up the esophagus where it irritates the lining. 1-2 drops of Lemon essential oil (which comes from the rind, not the pulp)in a glass of water is one of the best remedies for heartburn, as it causes the stomach to stop excreting digestive acids.
6) In terms of Oriental Medicine, Lemon Essential Oil is cool and dry in nature, and clears heat, dampness and phlegm. It is one of the best essential oils to de-congest, cleanse and detoxify (extract from Aromatherapy for Healing the Spirit by Gabriel Mojay)
7) Daily uses of Lemon Essential Oil:
- Add 1-2 drops in the last rinse of your clothes for a beautiful fragrance and anti-bacterial effect. Mums may find this particularly useful for washing clothes for infants
- Add 1 drop in a large glass/ceramic bowl to soak away chemicals on vegetables and fruits
- A drop on tissue or cotton, tucked in your fridge will clean out any odor
And one last tip – Lemon, like most citric oils are photosensitive. So when you do apply the oil, avoid direct sunlight for at least 24 hours! Otherwise, enjoy this simple powerhouse.